Pages

2.09.2014

47 Cents & a New Beginning

This time three years ago, I was just three days from my due date with our first child, Amelia. We were crazy excited to meet our little girl. But there was some anxiety. We were facing parenthood knowing I would have to return to work part time just two months postpartum. I would work mornings as a caregiver; Danny would work evenings as an assistant manager for a local Blockbuster. With us working opposite shifts, we wouldn't need to seek out child care. That was our plan. It wasn't perfect but it would pay the bills. 

Danny always wanted to be able to earn enough income so I could stay home with our children. And for a good year before getting pregnant with Amelia, he applied for countless jobs that we thought would get him there. He even made it to the last phase of becoming a police officer for a nearby town. That didn't pan out, obviously and thankfully. I was not made to be an officer's wife. 

But the week before my due date, Danny got called in for an interview with Verizon Wireless. We had done a mock budget of what it would like to have me stay home and knew he needed to make $X/hour with any new job. The morning of his interview, I prayed over him. We were bold and prayed very specifically, "Lord, thank you for this opportunity. We ask that you provide Danny with this job. And we pray they offer him $X/hour." 

During his interview they shared how they were impressed with Danny's qualifications and personality. They asked him for a desired starting wage and when he could start. He explained how I was due to have our baby any day but that we could be flexible. A week went by with no word back from Verizon. Meanwhile, we were at the hospital in a daze over the miracle we had just experienced with Amelia's birth. The last thing on our mind was the interview results. 

We spent the first day in the nursery, loving on our baby
and praying that she would be well.

Amelia // First Valentine's Day ♥

On February 14, 2011, two days after Amelia was born, Danny got the call. If you don't think God has a sense of humor...Verizon was offering him the job at $X.47/hour. Our best friends were sitting there with us in the hospital room, listening in and giddy. Danny got off the phone, shared the news with us, and we all laughed. It's so like God to do that kind of stuff. We were nervous about me going back to work and Danny asking for the specific wage that he did during his interview. And here we were, at what seemed like the very last minute, and everything was worked out. Danny's asking wage had been on the high end and we had no reason to believe that they would grant it. Except that we trusted in a mighty God who we knew could provide it. And guess what? Even if he hadn't provided in that way, he would have been just as good. We felt blessed to have options, even if it meant I might have needed to return to work. 

So with the phone call, we learned that Danny would have a week home with Amelia and I before he needed to start the four weeks of training, which happened to be in Bellevue, WA. That's about three to four hours north of us, in case you're not from around here. We weren't expecting that part of the job offer but we figured the sacrifice for a much better job was worth it. So he accepted! We left the hospital the next day with our new baby, a new job, and a crazy adventure ahead of us. The weeks to follow weren't the easiest. Danny was gone for a week at a time for training. But thankfully and just like always, God provided. I had plenty of help from dear friends and family. Before we knew it, four weeks came and went. 

Amelia // 2 months old

Two months after Amelia was born, I cried tears of joy. Let's be honest, I probably cried each day leading up to that point. Those hormones get to a new mama! Instead of returning to work that morning, I was enjoying my sweet baby girl. Throughout that day, I remember praying and thanking the Lord for providing just what we needed so I could stay home full time. Plus $0.47/hour. 

And here we are three years later.

Maia Family // Christmas 2013

Danny is still with Verizon. So much life has happened since that February in 2011. I'm still home with our kiddos and we've always had enough. That's not to say there have been some challenges. God has been faithful. As Danny embarks on a new journey with Verizon, I feel it necessary to share that story, too. But I'll save that as part two. 

No comments:

Post a Comment