Pages

10.20.2013

31 Days: On Hearts & Walls, Part 1

I shared a few days ago that prayer is hard for me sometimes. It's often sporadic and shallow as I go through my day. On days where my words fail me but I still desperately need to connect with Jesus, there is scripture. I have purposefully put God's Word all around me because I know I will need it.

If you walk into my bathroom, I have the Fruit of the Spirit written out on a sticky pad. It's the first room I go into after waking up. And by time I get there, I'm already failing at a lot of these characteristics. Yesterday for instance, I walked into the bathroom and said to Danny, "I'm just so annoyed with Amelia!" And then BAM!

Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

Below the Galatians excerpt is The Armor of God. If I'm going to go forth in my day with any of the above fruit in my life, the Lord has got to protect me and go before me. I don't care how super spiritual this sounds but I know that Satan is out to get my family. We love Jesus a lot. Danny and I are raising our children to know God. We're doing things different with this generation! And so yeah, my days are stinkin' hard.

There are also a few sticky notes on the mirror. We all see them, every day. Amelia is always curious about what they say so she has me read them to her.

Philippians 4:4 // Proverbs 4:20-23

And last for the bathroom* is a list of scripture that Kara Kae from The Mom Diggity shared back when I was pregnant: 10 Scriptures for the Weary Pregnant Mom. I was super pregnant, like ready-to-birth-any-minute-and-super-impatient pregnant. I was four days late with Elsie. Naturally, with a baby's head so far into *that* area, going to the bathroom happened a lot in those last few days of my pregnancy. So I pinned the list to the wall directly in front of the toilet. Seriously. Also, Elsie is six months old and that list is still pinned there. I may not be pregnant anymore. But the Lord knows I'm weary. So the list will stay.

Moving out of the bathroom, down the hall and into our living room, I have this gem. Along with the scripture, mine and Danny's wedding date is included. It's one of my very favorite home decor items. 

Joshua 24:15 **

To the left of our living room is our "kitchen". It's not really a kitchen but it's our kitchen. The space has a dorm room size fridge, an equally tiny sink, counters, and a make shift pantry under the stairs. It's not pretty but it sure does function well. I spend time in this area preparing coffee and lunch on a daily basis. And sometimes I might wash a few dishes. When I do, this cute trio stares me in the face. This is a good thing, mostly because of the whisk one. You'll read the scripture and see why.

Matthew 5:6 // Psalm 34:8 // Proverbs 15:1 **

Over in the dining room/computer area, I have this fancy schmancy chalkboard hanging up. Ok, it's not that fancy. I got the frame from Goodwill and spray painted the glass with chalkboard paint. This verse breathes life into my stony heart... this heart that complains a lot and is ungrateful most days.

1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

Lastly, there's a decree mixed in with family photos. A reminder to keep the Word alive in our home, to pass it down through the generations, written on our walls and spoken into our hearts.

And you must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your strength.

Deuteronomy 6:4-9 **

I know I don't sit down enough to intentionally read my Bible. I know that my prayer life could be more vibrant. Also, scripture memorization is not something I'm great at. There's always more. But I can be sure that no matter where I am in my home, God's Word is present. Even though these verses are in their same spots day in and day out, each new day presents its own challenges. And so each verse speaks to me in a new way each time I see it. 

God wants to help me in this journey of motherhood. It's no secret that this is really challenging! Even in that, I have found so much comfort in the Lord's promises as I see them on my walls and/or remember them in my heart. 

* Is it weird that most of my scripture is in the bathroom? What does that even mean?
** All scripture prints are from Naptime Diaries. This shop is seriously my favorite. As is Jessi.

How do you get God's Word into your home? Do you memorize scripture with your children? If so, what are some fun ways that help? What are your favorite verses to have around your home and in your heart?


2 comments:

  1. I used to have scripture all over my dorm room like this and it was always a great encouragement...I never thought of doing it in a decorative way like this! LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought to do it either until I discovered Naptime Diaries. :) It's really fun and makes my home feel pretty!

      Delete