Pages

10.04.2013

31 Days: Mt. Laundry

As I type this, I have a load of laundry sitting in a basket in our living room. There's also a load in the washer and dryer. Also, let's take a moment to remember the basket of socks and underwear waiting to be placed in their proper homes.

Friends, I despise laundry. More than once a week, I tell my husband that we should just be nudists. I know, awkward. But with a two year old and a 5 month old, we just go through so much laundry. I don't even feel like we have very much clothing. But dang, we know how to get messy. Between drool, food, spit up, clumsiness, playing, and normal body smells, I can easily wash two loads of laundry a day. How do I keep up with that?!

Honestly, I don't. Ha! In all seriousness, it's sadly true! I do have a system for the good laundry days though. I usually start a load of laundry in the morning after breakfast. Then I work on getting it swapped throughout my day. As for folding, it doesn't take any time at all. I wish I would just make myself fold it as soon as it came out of the dryer. But right now, I don't do that. The load will more than likely end up on the couch. Amelia loves jumping on it all. Usually what happens is this: the laundry has been sitting for days. It's late at night and the kids are both asleep. So Danny and I tackle folding five loads of laundry. Sexy, right?? The folding is usually done within fifteen minutes. And we both say, "Wow. That was so easy. Why doesn't that happen more often?" Beats me, Love. Beats the heck out of me.

Oh goodness, then there's the task of putting it all away. Amelia has actually started helping me with this! She knows what each drawer in her dresser holds. I help her open the drawers and she puts her items away. Amelia also puts towels away. They're unfolded by time she gets them in the cabinet. But she's learning. We just leave the unfolded towels as they are. Without fail, every time I grab an unfolded towel at a later time, I just smile at the thought of my sweet girl and her willingness to help me.

this is a good day, people.

While it's nice to have your couch free of laundry and your underwear drawers stocked {poor Danny}, I've realized recently that sometimes, the laundry just has to sit there for a day or... four. Too much? We have other couches to sit on. If we really do need all the couches, we have laundry baskets and unseen rooms. A dryer gets wrinkles out fairly well. And why bother folding the clothes when they're going to be unfolded rather quickly anyway. Just kidding. I'm not that extreme. I just don't want to feel burdened by the stupid laundry pile. When there's small children in your home, sometimes it's just easier to leave the pile and have fun. Let's do that more.

What are some good tips that have helped you with the chore of laundry? Is this even a big deal to other people? Do you find that less clothing options in the home make laundry easier to manage?


No comments:

Post a Comment