Pages

10.08.2013

31 Days: Love Your Libraries!

My wonderful husband, Danny, is a bookworm through and through. He would sit and read all day if he could. Me on the other hand? I'd rather DO something. I like to create physically tangible things over using my imagination to create characters and such. If I am reading, it's probably a non-fiction book for parents or women. All that to say, when Amelia was 18 months old and would sit flipping through her books while I worked around the house, I knew she was just like her daddy.


I took Amelia to the library for the first time last summer. It was like a candy store to her. She wanted all of the books. We would spend some time just reading on the library floor. After she was tired of being quiet we would pick our stack of books and head home. At the time, we lived within walking distance of Target and the library. Of course, we'd make a fun trip out of it. Seriously, those are some of my favorite memories with that sweet girl. Along with actually going to the library with her, so many of our sweet moments spent together are under a blanket on the couch reading those stacks of books from our trip.


Now that Amelia is older, we have been attending a story time at the same library. The group time is only forty minutes long. They do songs, bubbles, a few books, and toys with other two year olds. I enjoy watching her interact with other kids, she gets to practice all those manners and good behavior that she's learning, and I even get to meet some new mom-people. Mind you, conversation doesn't go beyond where I got my baby carrier and how far apart the girls are. But that's another blog post for another day.


After Amelia enjoys the story time, we pick out a bag full of books. I choose some, she chooses some. I usually scan the ones she finds just in case. Trust me, we've had some weird children books come through our home over the last year and a half. We try to go to the library on a weekly basis!


The days following a trip to the library are so wonderful. Because Amelia is a bookworm, she will pour over those books for hours throughout the week. I'm not even kidding. The more I get to know this girl, I'm discovering that she is a total introvert. Just like her daddy. After quite a few minutes of flipping pages and making up her own stories, Amelia is calm, sweet and ready for more two year old craziness. And let's be honest, I don't always mind sitting on the couch with a cup of coffee, just watching her with these books. It's a win-win for all of us, really.

Do you like to attend the library with your children? What kind of activities does your library offer? Do you have any good book recommendations?


4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! She is adorable! Some of my very favorite memories are when my mom took us to the library. I still feel like a kid in a candy store in libraries and book stores. I'm enjoying your series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heather! I'm so glad you're enjoying the series. I've had fun writing again. It's such a great outlet for me.

      It's funny because I'm not that big into reading myself. But I love reading to my kiddos and seeing them get excited about books. Well, at least Amelia. Elsie still just likes to chew on them! haha.

      Delete
  2. I'm a reader for sure so if our little guy likes books he is taking after mommy :) We're going to his first baby story time this week and he is 4 months old. Can't wait to go when he is older! Right now one if our favorite books is God Gave Us You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute!! We love that story as well. There are SO many amazing kids books out there. Amelia is at that age where she is starting to remember the stories really well. So she will either talk to me about them throughout our day. Or she will tell me the story as we flip through the book rather than me reading it. It's amazing what they learn through books! And good for you for starting young. it's never too early, in my opinion! ;)

      Delete