Pages

12.04.2012

The Rescue Plan

Well, I did a really poor job with my Thanksgiving posts. I was bummed I didn't keep up with it but life happens, right? Every time I write I post, I think Wow! I'm so glad I did that. I feel lighter. But for some reason, it's just not my go-to thing like it used to be. That aside...

I'm SO excited for this Christmas. Last year, Amelia was ten months old. She walked around and got into the wrapping paper and boxes. She loved the lights and decor. But there wasn't much interaction with Christmas beyond that. This year, Amelia is almost two. And oh my goodness, she's loving the Christmas season so far. Everything about it. As her mama, I'm loving it, too! It's amazing how different the perspective of a child is and how much lovelier it makes life seem. This hit me yesterday as Danny and I were doing our Advent activity with Amelia.

amelia's little nativity
We are reading the Jesus Storybook Bible Advent plan to Amelia along with doing a new activity everyday. Yesterday we sat up her Nativity toy set while I read her "The Terrible Lie". To be honest, I actually hesitated in reading her the story at the same time we set up her Nativity scene. We had just been super happy about Baby Jesus and how excited we were to celebrate His birth. Then comes this story of how sin entered the world and it was awful... you most likely know how it all goes.

After telling Amelia who the characters were in her Nativity scene, I said, "We are going to learn in the coming days why we are so excited about Jesus' birth! And why He is so special."

Then God said to me, "You need to read the story now." I got nervous! What the heck? So I opened her Bible and began to read. She saw the serpent as I was reading and said, "Not nice!!" We read on and she would repeat some of the words I was reading out loud. The more I read, the more it sunk into my heart that the reason I had to read the story then, in that moment, was because the sadness of sin entering the world must be paired with the joy of our Savior being born. It just has to be.


Yes, Adam and Eve sinned. They listened to the mean snake and they ate the yucky fruit, I tell Amelia. And because of that we couldn't be close to God anymore. But God had a Rescue Plan so that we could be close to Him again! And the reason we are SO excited about Baby Jesus is because He is our Rescuer. He will save us. He will bring us close to God again.

That's why they have to go together. 

I know Amelia doesn't get most of this yet. But she knows that snake is mean, not nice! She knows we love God. She knows that Jesus is someone very special. That little Baby Jesus figurine gets lots of loves, believe me. She enjoys our meal time and bed time prayers. Yet I was so afraid to read her the truth... the joy verses the sadness, in case it might make her worry or be upset. Instead, she just soaked it up! And you know I did as well. I choked back tears as I finished the story. I've been a Christian for eleven years and my heart so needed to hear the Rescue Plan again. It needed to hear the truth of our Promised Savior, born that man no more may die.

   "You see, no matter what, in spite of everything, God would love his children - with a Never Stopping, Never Giving Up, Unbreaking, Always and Forever Love. 
    And though they would forget him, and run from him, deep in their hearts, God's children would miss him always, and long for him - lost children yearning for their home. 
    Before they left the garden, God whispered a promise to Adam and Eve: 'It will not always be so! I will come to rescue you! And when I do, I'm going to do battle against the snake. I'll get rid of the sin and the dark and the sadness you let in here. I'm coming back for you!'
    And he would. One day, God Himself would come." The Jesus Storybook Bible, Sally Lloyd Jones

Come, let us adore Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment