Pages

11.10.2012

Let Us Give Thanks - SAHM

We can all agree that it's easiest to give thanks when life is going comfortably for us. It's easy to give thanks for people that we love and care about deeply. It's not so easy to give thanks in the middle of a stressful day or to give thanks for a job that isn't that great. But as I read God's word, I'm told to do it anyway.

"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." 
Philippians 4:4-7 {emphasis mine}

This season of life hasn't been easy for our family. We haven't had any one major thing that has thrown us off. It has just been the daily grind of life doing what it does to families... grinding away. Danny works a commission's based retail job. This means the job itself is high pressure and stressful. Also, the hours are not typical by a long shot. He tries to work some overtime every week just to help our monthly budget. It's not uncommon for Danny to get home after Amelia has gone to bed and I'm exhausted from the day. He misses out on a lot of social activities with our friends. Not to mention the inconsistent schedule from week to week. It's a challenge, no doubt.

i ♥ puffy postpartum face.
only because that baby is so perfect.
To be totally honest, my heart has not been grateful for Danny's job in the recent weeks. I get tired of long days without him. But today, I am choosing to give thanks. I am doing so because even though there are difficulties with this job, there are blessings as well.

The biggest blessing of all is me being able to stay home with our daughter. Danny interviewed with Verizon Wireless a week before my due date; he was hired for the job two days after Amelia was born. Up until then, we had planned on me needing to work at least part time so that we could make ends meet every month. We didn't want to do life that way but we really had no other options. It was such an amazing relief to leave the hospital with our new baby knowing that I didn't HAVE TO go back to work.

moments that make my heart so content

Being a stay-at-home mom (or "SAHM" as I appropriately included in the title of this post) has been the most difficult job that I personally have ever had. There's a lot of my work that goes unnoticed by the human eye. My uniform is not glamorous or cute AT ALL. My hair is pretty much always a mess. I don't get to do what I want all the time (i.e. it has taken me three days to write this post. ha!). But I do get to see all of the little moments in this sweet child's life. I get to see her excitement over the simplest of treasures like painting, pancakes, and pizza. I get to see her learn new things like the ABC's and riding a tricycle. I get to be the one that helps her learn how to handle big emotions in frustrating moments. All these moments plus more make up what I love about being her mom and being able to be home with her so much. Mostly though, I am privileged to show her Jesus, even in all my mess. Praise You, Jesus, for that. I can't imagine doing anything else besides training up this child (and our future children) to be disciples of Jesus as we live out our every day life together. I pray that I'm doing it well and for HIS glory.

oh, just the happiest SAHM snugglin' with her girl in pajamas. simply the best.

I know that not all moms can stay home with their kiddos. Bills have to get paid! Heck, I even know some moms that don't want to. They find contentment in the work they do outside of the home, alongside their work at home. It's beautiful that we can all do life so differently and still raise children together, right? What are some moments that make you stop and think, "Yup, this is why I wanted to be a mommy. This. right. here."? Let's give thanks for the joy of being moms... SAHM or not! :)

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog through a comment on LIfe of A Pint-Sized Mama! I love your blog and your simple joy and faith in the Lord Jesus! I'll be following and reading your blog :) I pray that when we have children, that the Lord will provide a way for me to be a stay at home mom. It is my hearts deepest desire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi kasey! thanks for stopping by. sorry this response is a bit delayed. i'm still trying to work out the whole "blogging regularly" thing. :) i hope you can be a stay at home mom someday! it's so wonderful. until then, enjoy your husband! :) these are fun years. ;)

      Delete