Pages

11.06.2012

Let Us Give Thanks - Amelia Bedelia

It's November, the month of Thanksgiving. So I'm trying to write daily about the many blessings in my life. I wrote about how thankful I am for my husband yesterday. It was gushy post... so what? I kinda love the man. 

Today's post is all about my sweet girl, Amelia. Oh man, where do I even begin?? Should I tell you a little bit about her, too? Ok, I will. She will be two years old in February. I think she is one of the smartest kids I know. But I might be biased. Amelia is a very social girl. If you put her in a room with our closest friends, she will stand in the middle of the room and spin. She'll fall down, giggle at the people giggling at her, get back up and repeat. Amelia is brave and very active. But it's not uncommon to find her sitting at her table, just looking through a book or coloring by herself. She has the goofiest sense of humor I've ever seen in a two year old. There have been nights where Danny and I will laugh at her as she does or says something so silly. Then she will laugh at us laughing. And it will continue like that for a good five minutes. It's a blast. Of course, being a girl, she's "sugar, spice, and everything nice". Do you like the how the spice is tucked in the middle of that... yeah, this kid is spicy at times. She wants to do things by herself: "I do it! I do IT!" (zippers, shoes, pen caps, etc). Amelia is a determined, strong willed child. Which is bizarre because Danny and I aren't like that at all. *Cue the chorus of our parental units laughing hysterically* In all seriousness though, it's tough at times to handle her big emotions and personality. But at the end of the day, I just sit and wonder about the things she will do for the Lord if she pursues Him with all that passion. It gives me chills just thinking about it. This kid could and probably most definitely will move mountains. 

may the Lord guide us as we guide you, sweet girl.

If you know us well, you might know that Amelia's birth was quite intense. If you don't know the whole story, I strongly urge you to just take a read {click here for her birth story}. The Lord's amazing grace and mercy is woven throughout the whole experience. And for that, we give Him unending praise. 

A while ago, I was sharing Amelia's birth story with a friend. I explained how right after she was born and her lifeless body was laying on my chest, I began to pray. And as they took her away from me seconds later while my midwife was asking, "Does she have a pulse?", I prayed harder. Moments later, they replied, "It's faint." The echoes of them performing CPR on my newborn baby still ring in my ears as if it was just yesterday. Our doula told us that she just needed to hear our voices. So I began to tell Amelia to breathe, that Mommy and Daddy were right there. When she didn't respond, one of the nurses scooped Amelia up in her arms and ran out of the room, down the hall, and into the nursery where they could work more intensely to save our daughter. While they performed CPR on Amelia, I yelled and screamed this prayer: "Lord, please give her life! Breathe life into her!" As I retold this to my friend, she said something that was so profound to me {paraphrased}, "There is power deep within us that I don't think we realize is accessible until those intense moments surround us. You may have started out praying for Amelia, begging for God to save her. But it seems to me that as you prayed, your words were no longer a request. They became a command, in the Name of Jesus. You commanded life into the body of Amelia." To God be the glory for He is the giver of life. There's a reason Job 12:10 is so near to our hearts: "For the life of every living thing is in His hand, and the breath of every human being."

I share that because almost two years later, I see the LIFE that our daughter has and can't help but shed a tear while praising Jesus. Amelia is vibrant, joyful, spunky, full of the perfect breath of LIFE that our Father gives us. For all that she is and the life that she has, I am eternally grateful. 

see, i told you. life. ♥

Tell me about your children! What are some things about them that make you smile? What are some spicy things that make you flustered but make you smile later? 

No comments:

Post a Comment