Pages

1.04.2012

Goals for 2012

To be perfectly honest, I'm not a "resolution" type person. Failure is a big fear of mine. And let's face it, most people fail at their resolutions. I know I have in the past. But this year, I've decided to set some goals. Looking back to 2011, I'm shocked by how quickly the year went by. There is so much I wanted to accomplish. I feel like I let the year get away from me. Granted, I was a wee bit preoccupied being a new mommy. But I want 2012 to be a different year.

Here are some goals I've set for myself [and how I plan to reach them]:

Be more prayerful. [I plan to actually finish and keep on with "The Power of a Praying Wife". I need to move Amelia's daily prayer calendar to a more open area. When people ask for prayer, I want to pray in that moment with them rather than saying, "yeah, I will pray." and forgetting.]

Craft more. [I have so many unfinished projects. After I finish those I would love to do many of the crafts from my "crafties to try" board on Pinterest. I'm not sure what reaching this goal will look like yet. I do know that anything will be more than last year!]

Blog regularly. [I love love love writing. It has been a love of mine since I was 12. I write in a journal about once a week. But that's usually me writing down Amelia's milestones and such. I want to blog once a week. I don't have a main idea that I want to blog about. I guess whatever my heart feels will do. One week might be about a craft project I did. The next week might be about parenting struggles. Who knows?]

Be a gentle parent. [I want to discover what it looks like to gently parent my sweet Amelia and future children. I was spanked, yelled at, slapped, and mocked as a child. Now that I'm a grown woman I wouldn't say that I'm "messed up" because of my experience. But since becoming a mommy, I've found that a lot of who I am in moments of tension comes from what was modeled to me. I plan to change that through prayer/deeper understanding of God's grace for me, accountability in my husband, reading the tons of resources available, and acting out what I learn.]

Participate in 5k, 10k, and half marathon races. [I am currently going to the gym 3x a week and doing the "Ease into 5k" program. I am in week 4 and can walk/jog about 2 miles in half an hour. By the end of the program, which is in 4 weeks, I hope to be able to jog 3 miles in half an hour. There is a 5k race in March called "The Shamrock Run". I guess that's my first run! After that I will continue to build my endurance.]

Continue to handle our finances well. [We plan to continue to tithe, budget, pay down debt, and save. Our biggest savings goal are a full emergency fund and a house. Obviously, these are long term goals hence "continuing".]

I think that's a good start! :) I'm excited for the year and what will come of it. It's sure to be an interesting one now that our baby is entering toddlerhood! Happy 2012, friends!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like an awesome start to the year Shelia! I can't wait to hear how you progress in your goals and all the wonderful insights you will share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is super cool She :) you are doing so well in each of these! I could read each point and say that I can see you working so hard at each of them in your daily life. Write a book someday. Thank you for being such an amazing mentor to me. Love you!
    Kayla Joy :)

    ReplyDelete